Psychology plays an important role in studying human behaviour and its patterns. In today’s modern world, it is essential to understand factors and conditions that may affect the thinking, feeling and behaviour of individuals to improve society.
The world needs experts to do so and being a student-friendly country, there are enormous opportunities to gain expertise by pursuing Master’s in Psychology in Canada
Table of Contents
- What is Psychology?
- Why Study Master’s in Psychology in Canada?
- Specialisations in Master’s in Psychology
- Top Universities for Master’s in Psychology
- Top Psychology Courses in Canada
- Intakes in Canadian Universities
- Eligibility Criteria For Master’s in Psychology
- Application Process of Master’s in Psychology
- Career after Master’s in Psychology in Canada
- Post-Study Work Permit in Canada
What is Psychology?
Psychology is the science which deals with the study of mind and behavior. It helps us to understand complex human behavior and mental processes. Nowadays, Psychology is in greatest demand due to increasing stress, anxiety and mental health problems in the community which require qualified experts to tackle such issues.
Why Master’s in Psychology in Canada?
If you are going to study or are making plans to study Psychology in Canada at the Master’s level, here are a few reasons which will never make you feel regretted for it as your dream destination.
- Diverse and vibrant conditions– Canada is the home of the world’s top universities attracting students from around the world in multicultural and multiethnic environments that will help you explore different cultures along with academics.
- World-class education system– Canada has the world’s top institutions in its sphere which comes under the 150 best universities according to QS ranking 2024. Also, Canada has the world’s top 6 universities in QS World University Rankings 2023 which provides opportunities for studying Psychology to global students.
- Emphasis on Research– Canadian universities provide well-equipped research laboratories for Psychology students to conduct their research. The Centre for Clinical Research in Health (CCRH) and the Centre for Research in Human Development (CRHD) are prime examples.
- Exciting Career– Universities in Canada not only impart quality education in many fields of Psychology such as Behavioural Science, Cognitive Science, Clinical Psychology and Research but also prepare students by polishing their skills in Psychological studies so that they can become capable of serving the community as an expert in various domains such as hospitals, health care centres, schools, government establishments etc.
- Easier pathway to PR– The policies of the Canadian government are favourable to Indian students who want to pursue a high quality of life. They can become a permanent resident of Canada after finishing their studies to avail the benefits of being a Canadian resident.
Specialisations in Master’s in Psychology in Canada
|Types of Master’s Program
|Main types of course
|MS in Psychology
|Theory and Research
|MSc in Psychology
|Master in Applied Psychology (MAP)
Top Universities for Master’s in Psychology Program 2024
|QS World Ranking 2024
|QS World Ranking 2023 (By Subject)
|Average Tuition Fees/Year
|CAD 20,000 (12 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of Toronto
|CAD 30,000 (18 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of British Columbia
|CAD 10,000 (6 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of Alberta
|CAD 9,500 (6 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of Montreal
|CAD 29,857 (17 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of McMaster
|CAD 16,000 (9 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of Waterloo
|CAD 23,088 (14 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of Ottawa
|CAD 30,000 (18 Lakhs INR approx)
|University of Calgary
|CAD 16,032 (9 Lakhs INR approx)
|CAD 13,000 (8 Lakhs INR approx)
Also read- Scholarship in Canada for Indian Students
Top Psychology Courses in Canada in 2024
- Clinical Psychology
- Behavioural Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Community Psychology
- Criminal Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Sports Psychology
Intakes in Canadian Universities
Canadian universities typically have three main intakes for postgraduate programs. However, it’s important to note that the availability of these intakes can vary depending on the university and the specific program of study.
- Fall Intake- Fall intake is the most common and popular in Canada. It usually starts in September every year and runs through December for most programs.
- Winter Intake- Winter intake typically begins in January and runs through April. Some universities and programs offer limited admission for the Winter intake.
- Summer Intake- Summer intake starts in May and runs through August. It is the least common intake and is offered by only a few universities and for a limited number of programs.
Eligibility Criteria for Master’s in Psychology in Canada
The eligibility criteria for getting admission to a Master’s degree course in Psychology depends upon the universities. However, some criteria must be fulfilled as they are mandatory to gain admission to Canadian universities.
Unlike India, colleges and universities are separate entities where colleges offer admission to PG Diploma courses and universities impart admission to Master’s degree programs.
Canadian universities require a full-time bachelor’s degree or bachelor’s honours degree (mainly BA or BSc). The duration of most of the Indian bachelor’s courses in India is three years (BA, B.Sc, BBA, BCom etc.) except for some programs like B.Tech.
In such cases, students can go for a WES evaluation to make the standards of their credentials equal to that of some of the Canadian universities which require a compulsory four-year undergraduate program as eligibility criteria.
In other cases, they may go for diploma courses that Canadian colleges offer to bridge the gap.
A minimum GPA score of 3.0 out of 4.0 or 70-80% is required.
English language proficiency scorecard: TOEFL (97-100), IELTS (6.0-7.0), PTE (65-70) is required
Letter of Recommendation: A minimum of two LORs is essential for a university application since it gives admissions committees important information about the potential, skills, and character of an applicant.
LOR is usually provided by instructors, mentors, or supervisors who have a close working relationship with the candidate in a previous college or workplace.
Statement of Purpose: SOP includes the purpose and motivations which drive you to choose Canada as your career destination. It can be two/three pages long.
Work Experience certificate (if applicable)
Application Process of Master’s in Psychology in Canada
- Research and shortlist at least 8-10 universities that offer the desired program.
- Visit their websites, collect data related and compare the significance that you will get.
- Fill out the application form at the university’s official website.
- Upload scanned documents of all the necessary documents.
- Pay the application fees (if applicable).
- Check your e-mails regarding potential dates and timing of interviews provided by the university.
- Go through the virtual interview.
- Upon successfully passing the interview, you will be offered a conditional offer letter.
- Confirm your acceptance and reserve your seat at the university. This often involves paying a non-refundable deposit and agreeing to the terms and conditions provided.
Career after Master’s in Psychology in Canada
After completing an MS in Psychology, around 25% of students go for research by pursuing PhD and work. Rest students find a variety of career options in Government agencies, wellness centres and healthcare centres, private organisations, educational institutions etc.
Graduates often work as psychotherapists, psychologists, clinical psychologists, child psychologists etc. in the following organizations, which are :
|Average Salary/Year in 2024
|CLINwest Research Inc
|CAD 50,000 (36 Lakhs INR approx)
|CAD 52,000 (38 Lakhs INR approx)
|Montreal Therapy Centre
|CAD 60,000 (45 Lakhs INR approx)
|Royal Canadian Mountain Police
|CAD 59,000 (45 Lakhs INR approx)
|CAD 80,000 (55 Lakhs INR approx)
Some of the popular jobs after completing MS in Psychology are:
|Average Salary/Year in 2024
|CAD 45,000-74,000 (24-50 Lakhs INR approx)
|Child and Youth Counsellor
|CAD 48,000-62,000(40-45 Lakhs INR approx)
|Mental Health Advisor
|CAD 60,000-91,000(45-70 Lakhs INR approx)
|Mental Health Counsellor
|CAD 59,000-90,000(45-70 Lakhs INR approx)
|CAD 60,000-90,000 (45-70 Lakhs INR approx)
Also read- Living Expenses in Canada 2024
Post-Study Work Permit in Canada
Part-time work- Indian students who have a study permit can work off-campus and do not require a work permit. A student needs to apply for a student permit, demonstrating his/her funding needs. He/She can work up to 20 hours per week.
Full-time work- After completing a post-graduation course, an Indian student must apply for Post Graduation Work Permit or PGWP.
- Starting from January 1st 2024, an Indian student must have completed at least 50% course in Canada.
- They have 180 days starting from the conclusion of their study program in Canada to apply for a work permit.
Duration: After post-graduation in Canada, Indian students can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
Application Process: Indian students who have completed their post-graduation course in Psychology in Canada can apply for the work permit.
To sum up, we can say that there are a variety of opportunities for Indian students who want to pursue Master’s degree courses in Canada due to its vibrant and multicultural nature which makes it student-friendly and reliable for job prospects.
There are lot of demands in the healthcare industry in Canada which require dedication and integration to serve the community. Psychological Sciences is one such aspect where taking care of the mental health of the individuals and community is equally very important.
Is Canadian degree in Psychology acceptable in India?
What I can do with Master's degree in Psychology?
I have completed my under-graduation in Microbiology. Am I eligible for pursuing Master's in Psychology program in Canada?
If you are an aspirant looking to study at your dream university, book an appointment with AdmitX today and start your applications early to avail yourself of all the benefits.