The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme is a government-sponsored program in India that provides financial assistance to deserving Indian students to pursue higher education abroad.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment administers the scheme to uplift students from marginalized sectors. By opting for this scheme, you can take a bold step toward fulfilling your aspirations. Opting for the National Overseas Scholarships Scheme is a decision that goes beyond conventional education.
Key Features of NOSS
- Provides financial assistance to Indian students to pursue higher education programs abroad.
- 30% of awards each year will be embarked by women candidates.
- The program is specifically designed to assist students from SC, ST & other marginalized sections of society.
- The scholarship covers course fees, one-way airfare, medical insurance etc.
- A total of 125 awards are given in the selection year annually.
- The duration of the award will be 04 yrs for PhD & 03 yrs for Masters’s degree.
- Applicants must be Indian citizens.
- The scheme is typically designed to assist students from SC, ST, Denotified & Semi-Nomadic Tribes, Landless Agricultural Laborers, Traditional Artisans, and Safai Karamcharis, among other marginalized communities.
- Applicants should possess an excellent academic record, usually with a minimum required percentage in their relevant qualifying examination.
- An age restriction of 35 years, beyond which candidates cannot apply.
- Applicants must usually provide valid community or caste certificates to prove belonging to the eligible categories.
- Often, candidates already availing of other scholarships or financial assistance might not be eligible to apply.
- Candidates who have already received the benefits of the scholarship in the past might not be eligible to apply again.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline is not eligible.
Application and Selection Process
- Submission of academic transcripts, LORs, and Statement of Purpose.
- Evaluation based on merit, financial need, & criteria set by the government.
- There will be only two rounds of Selection
- Waitlist will be a maximum of 50% of the total seats.
- The NOS shall not apply to topics or courses relating to Indian culture, heritage, history, or social studies on an India-based research topic.
Financial Assistance for NOSS
|Type of Assistance
|Annual Maintenance Allowance
|$15,400 (USA & others)
GBP 9900 (UK)
|$1500 (USA & Others)
GBP 1100 (UK)
|Actual as Charged
|Actual Visa Fees in INR
|Medical Insurance Premium
|Actual as Charged
|Incidental Insurance Premium
|$20 for each or its equivalent in INR
|→The awardees shall be allowed to purchase air tickets.
→ The choice of the travel agent for booking of the tickets is left open to the awardees.
→ The awardees will claim reimbursement of airfare from respective Indian missions abroad after joining and providing a report from University.
→ Return ticket will be booked by Indian Mission Abroad
Why is NOSS Important for You as a Student?
The National Overseas Scholarships Scheme stands as a beacon of hope for students who aspire to make a meaningful impact on the world. It embodies the belief that education knows no boundaries and that determined individuals should be given the tools to shape a brighter future for themselves and their nations.
By choosing this scheme, students open doors to unparalleled exposure, cutting-edge research, and diverse cultural experiences essential for personal and professional growth. The scheme’s emphasis on academic excellence ensures that scholars have the knowledge and skills to contribute significantly to their respective fields.
To know more about how to avail of the scholarship and find more government schemes matching your profile, learn more about Scholarships for Indian Students.
Start your journey to study abroad today. Do visit the AdmitX website for more information.